It’s easy to write off the Oxford Dictionary’s 2013 Word of the Year as a silly, narcissistic fad. But every once in a while, a selfie comes along that really is more art than duck-faced cry for Instagram attention.
To prove our point, we decided to treat the form with the respect it deserves and round up our favorite face-facing photos of all time. Whether it’s for the courage displayed or impeccable fashion taste on view, we think you’ll agree that these 10 self-portraits are impossible to dislike.
1. Baby’s First Selfie
2. The “Giraffe Pullin’ A Miley” Selfie
4. The “Daredevil” Selfie
5. The “Top Gun” Selfie
6. The Most Dangerous Selfie Ever Taken
7. The Selfie in Space
8. The World’s Oldest Selfie
9. The “OMG Were You Just In A Plane Crash?!” Selfie
10. The “Something Awful Is About To Happen” Selfie